05 February 2012

We Are the Champions

I was recently in the town of Stellenbosch, South Africa. When I saw a pamphlet with a self-guided historical walking tour of the town in the tourism office, I had to get it. The walking tour was nice – lots of interesting and historical buildings.

Cape Dutch-style Home
Girls Boarding School

Beautiful Seminary
However, what caught my eye on the brochure was a mention of “National Champion Trees.” What? A tree? A national champion of what? Did these trees win a foot race or participate in a team sport?  An academic contest? I was delighted by the concept of a tree as a champion of something!

There are five national champion trees in Stellenbosch. I had to check out these trees for myself!
The first was a Norfolk Island pine (native to Norfolk Isles in the Pacific, not Africa). This pine tree is huge!


This is the tallest Norfolk Island pine in South Africa. It was planted in 1826 by the wife of the last Chief Magistrate of Stellenbosch.  


The second trees were English Oak trees, native to Europe and northern Africa.

The streets of Stellenbosch were lined with English Oak trees in the 1680s. However, due to huge fires in 1710, 1763, and 1875, very few of these trees survived. These two oak trees on Ryneveld Street were planted in 1812 and show what the streets must have looked like prior to the fires. Only 5 of these oak trees remain.



According to the brochure, “Proclamation as a national champion tree under the Forest Act is the highest degree of protection for a tree. This status is awarded to trees of exceptional age, size, historical, cultural, or economic value, or a combination of these factors.” This program falls under the Department of Water Affairs and Forestry. Although tree protection programs exist in a number of countries, this is the first in Africa.


The next National Champion is a River Red Gum tree from Australia. This is the most widely distributed species of eucalyptus tree. This particular tree has a circumference of nearly 32 feet, a height of 125 meters, and a crown spread of 131 feet. That makes this tree the “biggest” of the National Champions.


Champion four is also a River Red Gum tree – this big fellow was planted in 1880 and was selected as a National Champion because it is a “prominent tree providing shade for an entire informal market.” The market still exists today and people gather for shade under this gum tree! 

The final National Champion tree in Stellenbosch is a Lemon Scented Gum tree – another eucalyptus from Australia. The essential oil of these trees is citronella – something I could use more of here in South Africa!


To date, 95 trees have been granted National Champion status including the tallest planted tree in the world (over 259 feet!).

Trees are nominated for this honor and nomination forms can be submitted by anyone on the basis of size, age, aesthetic value, cultural and historic value, or importance to tourism. Nominated trees can be either indigenous or exotic (none of the five I saw were native). 

So maybe trees aren't the most fascinating topic. But I'm a fan of any program that conserves them (call me the Lorax.)

I'm charmed that the South Africans have chosen to call these trees National Champions!


1 comment:

  1. Just had to say that of course the Aussie Gum is the best of them all!!

    ReplyDelete